Wednesday, May 4, 2011

vertical garden

This project was inspired by a post that I saw on ReNEST (www.re-nest.com). 
The side view of my deck is not the most appealing and I kept on wondering what I can do with it. I saw these ideas for vertical gardens and one was using gutters. What a brilliant idea I thought  and voila here is my version:
 This is the before side view, not so nice:(

To make this happen I went to the
 Re Building Center on Mississippi Ave ( in PDX) because I wanted to use something that was low in cost and also I did not need to get something new.I looked through the scrap pieces of gutters and these are the three pieces that I found that worked in the length.

I screwed the gutter pieces into the vertical  wood  planks and for stability used old blind hardware that I also found at the Re Building Center and screwed under the gutters.


.....added holes, so there would be sufficient drainage....

...... added organic potting soil....

 .....went to the neighborhood nursery and picked some lettuce. I figured lettuce would work great as start up crop...

...and this is how it looks now.

 Hope you  like it ;) this took me about 3 hours from start to finish. If you want more Ideas go to the link I added in above. ReNest is by the people that also do the ApartmentTherapy site and I get a lot of inspiration from them.

2 comments:

  1. Good job Ullika!! Looks great and the picture quality is beautiful. Love love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/diy/build-a-selfwatering-salad-table-instructables-145905
    here is another great garden idea

    ReplyDelete